Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Concerns
Hundreds of people accidentally die each year from CO poisoning caused by malfunctioning or improperly used fuel burning appliances. (EPA data) According to the Journal of the American Medical Association, carbon monoxide is the number one cause of poisoning deaths in the U.S. Carbon Monoxide is produced whenever any fuel, such as gas, oil, kerosene, wood or charcoal is burned.
Protect Your Family
- Install Carbon Monoxide detectors in your home.
- Make sure that any detector you purchase is approved and certified by a nationally recognized testing institute.
- Follow installation instructions carefully.
- Locate CO detectors near bedrooms so family members will awaken at night.
- Place them where people spend most of their time, where they can be heard & seen,
- Do not place a CO detector in a garage, furnace room, near the stove or fireplace.
- Check & replace batteries often to ensure the detector is functioning properly.
- Have a qualified service technician inspect your appliances yearly, before the heating season.
- Check vent pipes, flues and chimneys for leaks or blockages.
- Do not use a gas oven to heat your home.
- Don’t leave a vehicle running inside a garage, even if the door is open, fumes will build up quickly inside the home.